← WHY UA / Training Skilled Workers Since 1889
The UA spends roughly $250 million dollars a year on recruiting, training and continuously educating our members to provide the safest, most skilled workforce in the industry. Our Local Unions operate hundreds of comprehensive training facilities across North America, providing certified apprenticeship programs to develop the next generation of skilled workers and journeymen certification programs to ensure our workforce is up to date on the latest industry technologies and standards.
Through joint labor-management agreements, the UA and our contractors dedicate a percentage of wages directly into trusts that fund diverse classroom and on-the-job training. Our highly motivated and capable apprentices allow us to average our labor rates to a very competitive level in light of our high productivity.
Our training programs are recognized as the very best in the industry. We offer various programs benefitting our members, contractors and owners:
- Instructor Training Program: The UA’s well-respected and highly effective college accredited program of instructor education consisting of five one-week sessions over a period of five years.
- Certification Programs: Our certifications guarantee our contractors and users that the craftsmen they hire have been tested and meet the highest standards of our industry.
- Technical & Equipment Support: We provide local unions with a vast resource of technical support personnel and training equipment.
- Accelerated Welder Training: This program is an 18-week intensive curriculum that prepares members to be certified in specific welding procedures. This is rigorous training that produces skilled welders in a short amount of time, which is what the industry is demanding. Upon completion, these welders pursue additional training through the UA to enhance and expand their skills.
- College Degree Program: All UA members are eligible to earn college degrees as part of their training. Members can choose from a wide variety of degrees, ranging from an Associate Degree to Bachelor of Science Degree.
- Construction Supervision: UA members who wish to move into a construction management position can become certified supervisors.